The Church of Santa Trinita or St. Trinity Church, is located off of the Piazza Santa Trinita in the city of Florence, and founded by the Vallombrosan Order of Benedictine monks in the mid-11th century. Originally located outside the city walls, it became incorporated within the city in 1173 when the city walls were expanded.
Reflecting the austere lifestyle of the Vallombrosan order, Santa Trinita was constructed in a plain Romanesque style, but during the 14th century it was decided to generally renovate and expand the church and they took this opportunity to introduce a more Gothic style into the design. The facade that can be seen today was created in 1500 by the Mannierist artist Bernardo Buontalenti and incorporating sculptures by Giovanni Caccini.
The elegant Late Renaissance facade features large carved wooden doors dating from the 18th century with panels depicting Vallumbrosian monks, but unfortunately these magnificent doors generally remained locked and access is gained through smaller doors to the side. Once inside, look back at the wall and you will find the original Romanesque stonework that emerged when the building was restored at the turn of the century.
In a chapel off the left aisle can be found an “Annunciation” by neridi di Bicci, and the tomb of Giuliano Davanzati . In a chapel further along is a carving of Mary Magdalene in wood. Off the right aisle can be found a number of frescos by Lorenzo Monaco, and in the chapel adjacent to the entrance, a panel dating from the 14th century depicting the Crucifixion.
The nave is lined with numerous side chapels and two aisles with a transept. The walls, especially in the chapels have been adorned with magnificent works of art. Boxes have been placed in some of the chapels so payment can be made to provide extra light for those who wish to see the contents in greater detail.